Here are the "rules" of the diet... if anyone has recipe suggestions please post em!
- Iodized salt & Sea salt
- Seafood & sea products (this includes seaweed, kelp...goodbye sushi!)
- Sea based additives - carrageenan, agar-agar, algin, alginate, nori
- Dairy products in all forms (butter, whey, ice cream, milk, cheese...)
- Egg yolks or foods containing whole eggs
- Commercial bakery products
- Red Dye #3 (basically avoid any brown, red, orange processed foods)
- Chocolate (for its milk content, cocoa powder and some very dark chocolate is ok)
- Molasses - sulfur or blackstrap kinds, also brown sugar containing molasses
- Soybeans and most soy products (soy oil and lecithin are ok)
- Beans: red, kidney, lima, navy, pinto, and cow peas (all others are ok)
- Rhubarb and potato skins
- Iodine containing medicines, vitamins, & food supplements
- Restaurant, Fast, Manufactured & Processed foods - take a look at your labels, nearly everything contains salt and you can't guarantee it was non-iodized
- Fresh Meats/Poultry - 5oz per day - make sure not injected with broths
- Grains & Cereals - 4servings per day
- Rices - iodine content varies widely depending on the region where it was grown. Basmati rice is best for LID.
- Fresh fruits and fruit juices
- Vegetables - preferably raw, fresh cooked or frozen (not canned)
- Unsalted nuts and nut butters - no JIF for me :(
- Grain/Cereal in moderate amounts
- Meats & Poultry in moderate amounts
- Sugar, jelly, honey, maple syrup, & unsulfured molasses
- Black pepper and fresh or dried herbs
- All vegetable oils. Salad dressings if they have only allowed ingredients
- Homemade foods
- Cola, diet cola, lemonade, sodas (with no red dye #3), non-instant coffee, tea, beer, wine, & other alcohol.
Ok, so do you have ideas? I'd love to hear them!!